12.26.2013

Indulge In {Red Velvet Cupcakes}


I don't even know where to start with this recipe. If I could truly put into words how amazing these red velvet cupcakes are, I would probably have a starting point. Unfortunately I don't, but I will try to do my best. First let me start by saying this is a recipe I got from my aunt and it is hands down my favorite dessert ever. To this day, I have not found another red velvet cake that has even come close to this.

There is very little I know about food in comparison to others, but if there is one thing I know about, it's red velvet cake. Others may try and tell you that all you need to do is add red food coloring to chocolate cake or that using vinegar and buttermilk will mess it up, but they are wrong. And, if someone ttys to put something besides cream cheese frosting on top, run the other way….fast! I'm going to stop rambling now, share the recipe with you, and let you judge for yourself. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and I can't wait to hear what you think!



:: Red Velvet Ingredients ::
*Makes 24 Cupcakes
2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Cups Sugar
2 Cups Wesson Oil
1 Cup Buttermilk (If you don't have buttermilk, mix 1 Tablespoon Vinegar with 1 Cup Milk)
2 Eggs
1 Teaspoon Cocoa
1 Teaspoon Vinegar
1 Bottle Red Food Coloring
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

:: Red Velvet Directions ::
1. Cream sugar and oil in large bowl. Add eggs and mix till just combined.
2. In a separate bowl, combine vinegar, food coloring, and cocoa. Pour into sugar, oil and egg mixture and blend.
3. With your mixer on, alternate adding flour and buttermilk to the mixture.
4. Add baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Mix till combined. 
5. In a cupcake tin with liners, fill each with 1/4 cup of the batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. 
6. Let cool completely before icing.

:: Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients ::
2 Blocks Cream Cheese, softened
1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

:: Frosting Directions ::
*Tip: Place metal bowl and beaters into freezer for approximately 10-15 minutes before you make your frosting. This helps when whipping the cream. 
1. With your mixer on high, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. 
2. Add cream cheese and mix until combined. 
3. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla extract. 
4. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment