10.22.2013

The Happiest Hour {Spiked Apple Cider}


There are few things that make me happier in the fall than a glass full of warm bourbon spiked apple cider on a cool day. Combine that with a trip to the pumpkin patch and I may actually be in fall decorated Heaven. The combination of spices with the sweetness of the cider and the burn of the bourbon is quite perfect. My college roommate always made the most delicious cider when we were in school. We would drink by the gallon and everyone we knew was asking for a glass. But now that she has moved away, I have had to concoct my own equally delicious libation. After sifting through numerous recipes, I think I have finally found the winner. To make it even better, it made my whole house smell of autumn goodness the entire day. Although I prefer to enjoy mine with a shot of bourbon, you don't need one to enjoy it. It is just as delicious when served virgin as it was spiked. Here's the recipe...

:: Ingredients ::
1 Gallon Apple Cider
3 Cinnamon Sticks
10 Whole Cloves
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
Bourbon to Taste

:: Directions ::
1. Bring the cider to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Once boiling, add the brown sugar stirring to dissolve completely.
3. Reduce to a simmer and add the cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and lemon juice. Cover and simmer for a minimum of an hour and a half. For a more intense flavor, simmer longer.
4. Add Bourbon and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment