4.04.2013

Indulge In {Lemon Basil Strawberry Shortcake}


Oh that's right, I went there. You've never had strawberry shortcake quite like this before. If you follow me on Twitter, (you totally should!) you would have read the other day that I  was planning on putting my spin on the classic. The outcome, a dash of limoncello and fresh basil added to a homemade strawberry syrup that would top the cake. Let me tell you, it was divine! Traditional strawberry shortcake is already light and flavorful but the touch of lemon and basil brings a freshness that is needed. The additional flavors are subtle enough to not be over powering but bold enough to make a difference. I'm telling you, this dessert is going to be my go to through both spring and summer parties. The recipe is below. Give it a whirl because I'm dying to know what you think!

:: Ingredients ::
1 Pint Fresh Strawberries, sliced
1/2 Cup Limoncello
2 Basil Leaves, plus additional for garnish
1/4 Cup Sugar
Angel Food Cake
Whipped Cream
Lemon Slices for Garnish

:: Directions ::
1. In a medium sauce pan combine strawberries, limoncello, basil leaves and sugar. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is reduced. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Once the strawberry mixture has cooled, plate two slices of angel food cake and top with mixture. Add a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with additional basil leaves and a lemon slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment