3.22.2012

Indulge In {Mango Coconut Cake}


One of my favorite foods has always been, and will always be, cake. It's one of the many reasons I love birthdays so much. Once, freshman year of college, I ate four whole cakes by myself. It's not something I'm proud of, but I'm willing to admit it as an example of my true love for cake. Anyways. Now that spring is upon us, I've been eating a lot lighter. I'm sure your thinking that cake doesn't exactly fit the bill for eating lighter, but this cake is moist, fluffy, and the perfect balance of sweetness. With coconut and mango flavors exploding in your mouth on every bite, it's like a tropical vacation in a cake. By only icing between the layers and the top, you loose the heaviness of all the icing. Top with fruit for a refreshing sweetness even the non cake lovers (Trust me. They do exist.) will fall for! Here's the recipe...

:: Cake Ingredients ::
1 box Vanilla Cake Mix (Yes, I cheated this time and used the box. I'm busy and it was good so I have no regrets.)
Ingredients as required by box

:: Cake Directions ::
Mix all ingredients together and split batter between (2) 8" Round baking dishes.
Bake according to box directions.

:: Icing Ingredients ::
1 can Coconut Milk
1 cups Confectioner's Sugar

:: Icing Directions ::
{1} Place coconut milk in refrigerator to get cold. If you can leave it over night, that would be best. Otherwise, 3-4 hours will do.
{2} Remove from fridge, open and drain off oil.
{3} With cold beaters, begin whipping coconut milk slowly adding confectioner's sugar until stiff peaks are formed.

:: Assembly Directions ::
{1} Once cakes have cooled, remove from pans and place on a cake stand.
{2} Ice the top of cake 1 and layer mango slices
{3} Place the second cake on top of the mango slices and ice the top. Layer with additional mangos and serve!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment