1.12.2012

Indulge In {Champagne Sorbet}

Last week I was reading an article on Today's Kitchen about what to do with left over Champagne from New Year's. One of the suggestions was to make sorbet with it. With an extra bottle lingering in my fridge, and a hankering for something sweet and delicious, I was off to find the perfect recipe to adapt. After stumbling though many a recipes, I came across this one on Simply Recipes that sounded divine. So with that, I was off to the store. Excited to try it, I got right to work. And after a quick mishap forgetting to freeze to canister to the ice cream maker, it was churning away. After patiently waiting, it was ready! And let me tell you, it was amazing. Crisp, light, and full of flavor. It could be my new favorite! You must try...

:: Ingredients ::

1 1/2 C Sparkling Wine or Champagne
1 C White Granulated Sugar
1 Tbsp Light Corn Syrup
Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
Zest and Juice of 1 Grapefruit

:: Directions ::

{1} Combine Champagne, sugar, corn syrup and zest in a sauce pan. Bring to a vigorous boil so that sugar dissolves completely. Remove from heat.
{2} Strain into a medium sized bowl as to remove as much zest as possible. Strain juice of lemon and grapefruit into same bowl.
{3} Submerge bowl into larger bowl full of ice water until sorbet mixture is completely cooled. 
{4} If using an ice cream maker, follow maker instructions (Note: Mine requires me to freeze the canister for up to 2 hours prior to use. Mine only needed to churn for about an hour before becoming firm. While it was firm enough then, I transfered it to a freezer safe container and placed in the freezer to firm more.) If not using an ice cream maker, place in a freezer safe container and freeze till desired firmness. Remember to pull from freezer and scrape with fork occasionally so that it does not freeze into a giant ice cube!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment