9.01.2011

Dining Uncorked {Tailgate Grill Out}

So, I told you yesterday that I would provide you with the ultimate tailgating menu today. And well here it is! With Saturday's games quickly approaching, it's time to get your grilling game face on. While some people prefer to prep ahead and have bite sized little snacks, I prefer a grilled meal cook in a parking lot behind your car. While yes, there is some prep at home, to get the full tailgating experience, I think it should be actually cooked there. Here's what I make:

Sliders:
Easy. And plus, who doesn't love this tiny, cuter version of a burger? I tend to like sliders better because it's easier to control your portion. I'm one of those people that if you put a whole burger in front of me, I'll eat the whole thing right there and feel terrible the rest of the day because I ate way to much. Sliders are perfect for this problem. Here's what you need for the perfect slider...

{1} Ground Round or Sirloin (I like these because they have a lower fat percentage than ground chuck)
{2} Worcestershire Sauce
{3} Salt and Pepper
{4} Dinner Rolls (I get the ones from the bakery at Publix because I like how fresh and homemade they are.)

Seriously that's it for the perfect slider. And they are so moist and delicious. But here is the trick. Take your meat and form little patties. Remember that they will get a little smaller in diameter when you cook them, so make them a little bigger than you would think for a slider. Now put those patties in the fridge in a tupperware and grab it right before you leave. Don't season it; don't do anything to it. Seriously. Then, right before you put them on the grill (and I mean right before), season one side with salt, pepper, and splash some Worcestershire on it. Put the seasoned side on the grill and then season the other the exact same way. Wait for them to be cooked, top the way you please, and enjoy. Then the next day, tell me that these were not the most moist, juicy burgers you have ever had! Some great things to add to these burger: grilled onion, bacon, cheese, grilled peppers, lettuce, bbq sauce. That list could go on forever! What do you put on your burger?

Grilled Potatoes:
Yes, that's right. I said grilled potatoes. They are delicious. And crispy. And just like french fries but on the grill and round. You could do wedges if you like though. I like doing potatoes better than chips at a tailgate because potatoes are more filling and since there is drinking involved I feel that it's important to be full. Okay so here is what you need first.

{1} Baking Potatoes
{2} Garlic Powder
{3} Onion Powder
{4} Salt 
{5} Crushed Red Pepper
{6} Olive oil

The first thing you are going to do is obviously clean your potatoes. Slice them into rounds and boil them on the stove. You want to cook them till they are just a little soft but don't crumble to the touch. Drain and let cool. Once cool, put them in a tupperware and grab right before you walk out the door. Once at your tailgate, toss in olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and red pepper. Grill each side till grill marks appear and they are nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside! 

Some other great grilled items that I think are easy and delicious for a tailgate....
{1} Grilled vegetables (because they are good for you)
{2} Grilled peaches (trust me on this one)
{3} Hummus and grilled pita chips (take a regular pita, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and grill)

What are some of your grilling favorites? 

No comments:

Post a Comment