8.11.2011

Dining Uncorked {Grilled Pizza}

Summer is all about grilling in my opinion! And since my recent dairy allergy discovery I've been trying to fill my pizza void. But, with the discovery that my allergy only applies to cow's milk, I decided why not pick up some sheep's milk based cheese on the way home and grill up some pizzas! Well, while perusing the cheese section at Publix I discovered that pecorino romano is a sheep's milk based cheese. This is amazing news, because pecorino romano is an amazing cheese. In case you haven't had it before, it's very similar to a parmesan. Immediately I know what to pair it with.  I made two different kinds of pizza. One was topped with bacon and grilled asparagus and the other with tomatoes and arugula. Obviously they both had pecorino romano. They were both delicious! In case you're wondering, I like cooking to be easy. Nothing too complicated that has too many steps. So, I picked up some whole wheat flat bread at the store (my Publix has it in the deli section) and used that as the crust. Here's how I grilled the pizza...

{Step 1} Turn the grill on and set the flame at a medium high heat. 
{Step 2} Brush both sides of the flat bread with olive oil
{Step 3} Top your pizza with whatever you like
{Step 4} Place the pizza on the grill and close the lid. Cook until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the flatbread is crispy but not burnt. (Note: If you use pecorino romano, and I suggest you do, it will not fully melt)
{Step 5} Cut into slices and ENJOY!

What would you top your grilled pizza with? I think I want to try shrimp next!

No comments:

Post a Comment