6.30.2011

Dining Uncorked {Fresh Tomato Pasta}

While in Italy a couple of years ago, my dad made this out of this world pasta dish. It was the freshest I had ever tasted! I'm partially chalking the taste up to the environment in which I ate it, and partially to the freshness of the ingredients. I have been on a mission to recreate it ever since we got back and this weekend I think I got as close as I will ever get to the original. Walking around the farmers market this weekend, R. kept asking what I wanted to make for dinner.  All of a sudden I saw the freshest tomatoes I've seen in a while and was inspired! Here's the recipe for the sauce. Once it's done, throw it over what ever noodle you like (I used spaghetti because it's what I had on hand.) and enjoy!

Sauce: 
1/2 onion, diced
Olive oil
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
3 large tomatoes, chunky
4 basil leaves (Leave whole) 
Salt to taste

Directions:
1. Coat the pan in olive oil
2. Cook the onions on high until clear
3. Turn the heat down to medium and add the garlic, cook till fragrant.
4. Add in the tomato and basil leaves 
5. Turn the heat down to low, cover, and let cook till the tomatoes have broken down and the sauce has thickened, approximately 30-45 minutes.
6. Serve over pasta and enjoy! 


1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! An added bonus is you are able to control the sodium which is AWESOME for those of us with high blood pressure. Yum- I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete