2.21.2013

Indulge In {Seven Layer of Sinful Bars}



I swore I wasn't going to do it this year. But then, this adorable little girl shows up on my doorstep and corners me. "Would you like to buy some Girl Scout cookies?" Without even hesitating, I said yes. Now here I am anticipating the arrival of the six boxes of cookies I bought wondering what two people are going to do with all of these cookies. Seeing as letting them go to waste is out of the question (as is eating them all myself!), I've turned to finding different recipes to use them in and the thought of giving them away. Samoas are my absolute favorite and my mouth started watering the second I stumbled across this recipe from Cookie Crazed Mama for Seven Layers of Sinful bars. These things look out of this world and I can't wait to try them this weekend. Here's the recipe!

:: Ingredients ::
1 1/2 c. Chocolate Graham Cracker crumbs
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp. salt
1 box Samoa cookies
1 3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided*
1 1/3 c. sweetened, fine-shredded coconut, divided*
1 can or 13.4 oz of Dulce de Leche
1 Tbsp. milk


:: Directions ::

1. Cover a 9x13 pan with foil, leaving edges hanging over sides.  Coat with non-stick cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine crumbs (make sure the consistency is fine, like sand), melted butter and salt.  Toss until crumbs are moist and then spread over the bottom of prepared pan.  Press crumbs down firmly.

3. Cut each Samoa cookie into eighths.  Do two or three at a time to speed up the process.  Spread cookie pieces evenly over crumb crust.  Top with 1 cup chocolate chips, 1 cup of coconut.
4. Using a spatula, empty the can of dulce de leche into a microwaveable container and add 1 Tbsp milk.  Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring between each 30 seconds until the dulce de leche is smooth and thinner, about 1 minute.  Spread over top of cookie pieces, chocolate chips and coconut.  Using a spatula, work the dulce de leche down evenly over the toppings.
5. Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.  Remove and top with remaining 1/3 cup of coconut, gently press into dulce de leche and bake for an additional 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and place pan on a cooling rack.
6. In microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining 3/4 cup chocolate chips, using the 30 second cook/stir method.  Place melted chocolate in a small squeeze bottle, pastry bag, or plastic ziploc bag (with corner snipped) and drizzle melted chocolate over bars*.
7. Cool bars completely.  Cut and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. My family has made 7 layers bars every christmas for a while and I still request them from my mama! i love the idea of adding samoas in! (my favorite!!)
    xo

    ReplyDelete