1.24.2013

Indulge In {White Wine Mac N' Cheese}


I'm going to let my inner food-a-holic show through in this post probably more than I ever have. I try so hard everyday to make sure I resist the urge to stuff my face with all the bad things I want, like cake. But the hardest thing to avoid is mac n' cheese. I must admit that I often find myself staring at pictures of different mac n' cheeses online wishing I could eat them all. While I'm good most of the time, I jumped this past weekend as the chance to make up a big pan during the football games. Instead of researching new flavors to try, I immediately picked a favorite recipe I got from my mom and kicked it up a bit. With a touch of white wine, extra sharp white cheddar, and swiss gruyere, this mac n' cheese is decadent and subtly full of flavor. Here's the recipe...

:: Ingredients ::
1 Box Penne Pasta
3 Tbls Butter
3 Tbls Flour
1 3/4 C Milk
1/2 C White Wine
3/4 C Shredded Sharp White Cheddar
3/4 C Shredded Swiss Gruyere
Paprika
Salt & Pepper to Taste

:: Directions ::
1. Cook penne according to box directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large pan over medium high heat. Add flour and stir still smooth forming a rue.
3. Slowly add milk and wine to rue. Stir till thick and bubbling, approximately 3-5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Add cheese, salt & pepper and stir till melted.
5. Mix penne into cheese sauce. Pour into a greased baking pan and sprinkle with paprika.
6. Bake at 350 degrees covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!

*Image courtesy of Living With Punks

No comments:

Post a Comment