8.31.2012

The Happiest Hour {Berry Sangria}


Happy Friday! Or should I say happy long weekend! Labor Day weekend is finally upon us and so is the end of summer. While my favorite season is coming to an end, I must admit I am excited for all that fall has to bring. I can't wait college football, hearty soups, and layers! I've got grand plans for beer tasting parties, fall crafts, and creating a beer garten for Rob's 25th birthday. I want to kick off the holiday weekend (and summer goodbye party) with a recipe for a refreshing (and patriotic!) cocktail to enjoy with friends this weekend. This summer has really gotten me to expand my horizons and find ways to enjoy white wine. My favorite way to do this is with fresh fruit and a yummy glass of sangria. To close out berry season, I wanted to take advantage of the sweet blueberries and raspberries while I still could. Here's my recipe for a light and refreshing berry sangria that also doubles as a berry compote to top pound cakes and pancakes!

:: Ingredients ::
750ml White Wine
2 Cups Fresh Raspberries (plus more for garnish)
2 Cups Fresh Blueberries (plus more for garnish)
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Water
Soda Water

:: Directions ::
1. In a medium sauce pan, combine raspberries, blueberries, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar.
2. Once boiling, remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
3. After cooled, strain syrup through a mesh strainer. Hint: Don't push all the liquid through the strainer. Save just a bit with the whole berries to serve as a compote to top pancakes the next morning!
4. Pour syrup into a pitcher with white wine. Let sit in the refrigerator overnight to enhance flavor.
5. Serve over ice with a splash of soda water and fresh raspberries and blueberries for garnish.

1 comment:

  1. I made something similar recently! Instead of suing soda water/.water mix, I got the flavored sparkling water which really brought hte bubbly to a whole new level! It was a good way to add in a few more flavors, too.

    ReplyDelete