6.23.2011

Dining Uncorked {Basil Pesto}

front-pesto-184.jpg

I have recently discovered that I am severely lactose intolerant which has been quite a shock and little difficult to deal with. When first diagnosed, I first thought that this was fine. All I would have to do would be to eliminate milk, yogurt, cheese, and butter. Wrong.  You don't actually realize until you can't eat it, how many products actually contain dairy.  The most shocking has been basil pesto.  Yes, basil pesto contains dairy in the form of parmesan cheese. I was devastated.  Pesto is one of my favorite things to dip pita chips in, put on pasta, and even use on sandwiches. So, since buying it from the store is clearly not an option any more, I decided to try and make my own cheese-less basil pesto.  I came across this recipe on Adventures from a Gluten Free Mom and decided to give it a try. It's actually not too bad! I thought I would share the recipe with you and see if you like it any better! 

2 cups Fresh Basil Leaves, packed
1/3 cup Pine Nuts or Walnuts 
3 medium Garlic Cloves, minced
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 and 1/2 tsp. fresh squeezed Lemon Juice (more or less, to taste)
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
  • In a food processor or blender, combine the basil leaves with the nuts (or seeds), lemon juice and sea salt.  Pulse a few times until mixture is reduced in volume and the mixture is well incorporated.
  • Add the garlic and pulse a few times more.
  • Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the blender or food processor is running, stop to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
  • Taste.  Add more lemon juice and/or salt if needed.
Basil pesto is the perfect addition to any summer meal! Let me know how you like this recipe!

*Photo from Make and Takes

No comments:

Post a Comment